Shirati District Hospital, Lake Victoria Region, Tanzania.
The site offers Clinical teaching, Research and Community Service opportunities . Site is ideal for Elective Clinical Rotations and Internships, in surgery, OB/GYN, Tropical Medicine and Infectious diseases, and Pediatric. The Student Handbook is available for detail information.
In 1934, Mennonite missionaries founded Shirati Hospital which is now still owned
by the Tanzania Mennonite Church. The hospital is located in Shirati Village which has a population of 5,000 people.
In 1959 Shiriati Hospital began the School of Nursing and Midwifery. In 1972 rehabilitation
and additional construction of the hospital were carried out.
The Leprosy control and treatment center was moved from an isolated area by Lake Victoria to a camp near the hospital and a hospital ward for those receiving medical treatment. It is currently supported by the German Leprosy Relief Association (GLRA).
The hospital began medical research in the 1980's on Malaria and Burkitt's Lymphoma and later in the 1990's began research in HIV/AIDS. Recently the hospital opened the Angaza Center for Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV/AIDS.
From the Participants
Country, Travel, & Students
Host family or community center.
Touro University Coordinator
“We are becoming doctors in a world struggling to attain adequate healthcare while wars and poverty displace thousands daily. It is up to us to meet the needs of our fellow man and give whatever it is we can…" Arta Bakshandi Class 2008, SOMA National Board - International Health Programs Director, Global Physicians Corps – President
Copyright 2005 - 2020, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.